Photobucket

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On Eating Well While Surrounded By Boys

As a direct result of growing up with all brothers, I have traditionally always made friends more with boys than with girls. With the exception of three good girl friends [and of course my new Sisters in the HCC], all of my friends are boys. Boys who have a BMI less than 20, who--for the most part--are tall and skinny. Most of whom are tall and skinny by the blessing of genetics, not by any effort made to stay that way.

Still, it almost feels like they have ramped up their crazy eating to compensate for my new healthy eating. In the past two weeks, I have watched them consume:

McDonald's cheeseburgers & fries
A Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger
Two large Wendy's fries (eaten by one boy at one time)
An entire box of Cheez-Its
An entire bag of animal crackers
A small McDonald's ice cream sundae
And enough alcohol to send them spinning to the ceiling, while I stayed grounded

[the last one being the hardest one to sit out]

I don't get mad at them, or anything. Most of the time I find it funny. I won't pretend that I don't crave TERRIBLE food sometimes. But what is important is that I don't cave to those cravings. That I continue to eat to fuel my body. That I find delicious things that fill me up and energize me to work harder.

***

This morning, I woke up and found that my clothes in the dryer were still wet. In that load of laundry were all of my daily-wear pants, the ones that are the most comfortable.

So I pulled out a pair of jeans that I almost never wear, because they are way too tight. I dreaded fighting with them to get them on.

But I pulled them right on, and they zipped right up. And they were even a tiny bit loose at the waistband and absolutely comfortable. I couldn't believe it! But it was great motivation through the day--even when I went over to hang out with boys who eat milk-covered Oreos out of a bowl with a spoon like cereal.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<